STICKEL EARL AND BOLLMAN OIL CO.
BLOCK 1 V NORTH PART OF LOT 8 was conveyed originally to the First State Bank of Manlius by Max P Seibel. The First State Bank was incorporated on May 15, 1902, and opened on June 14, 1902. It closed in 1915 when a new First State Bank building was built on Maple Ave which opened in June 1915.
After First State Bank moved to its new location it was used by Manlius High School until 1921 when a new high school was built at the west edge of Manlius and opened in Nov 1921. The building was used as a residence for several years; Marvin and Peggy Raabe Johnson lived on the south side of the bank building when they were first married in 1928. Mr. and Mrs. Willey lived in one part of this building. Dr.
L. S. Hopkins, Dr. Samuel Williams, and Dr. O’Haver all had offices on the 2nd floor of the First State Bank building (1906 Ad.) The town’s library was in this building in 1961 and was run by the Women’s Club (was it this building or the bank on Maple Ave??
DEC 26, 1933 this land & buildings were conveyed to Wm H Dabler by CA Simmington, the receiver of the First State Bank of Manlius, when the bank failed in March 1933
January 17, 1949, Drucilla Dabler conveyed it to Earl Stickel. ( He a5 at the time renting the Maple Ave First State Bank which was owned by First National Bank since 1933 when it failed),
EE AMES DRY GOODS AND CLOTHING was located on the north side of the First State Bank building. BLOCK IV LOT 9 was leased on Aug 18, 1936, to Johnson Oil Refining Company with the option to buy from Michael Dwyer (Lester Casteel was the lessee and he used it for a welding shop). Lester Casteel and Howard Rollo operated a welding shop and Paul Andersen and Roger Sapp worked for them.
DEC 30, 1948 THE BUILDING WAS CONVEYED TO EARL STICKEL by Paul McMahon nephew of Michael Dwyer.
Jan 17 1949 BOLLMAN OIL CO. PURCHASED IIT AND MOVED purchased it and moved their offices from the former First State Bank on Maple Ave to the E E Ames building. They had been renting the former First State Bank building on Maple Ave from First National Bank for their offices from about 1937- Dec 1948. Bill Horton drove a delivery truck and served the Princeton area; Art Carlson drove the Firestone delivery truck and Harold Caskey delivered fuel oil for Bollman Oil.
July 31, 1976, North 35′ pf Lot 8 and Lot 9 were conveyed to MANLIUS OIL CO. (Bill Doty). He stored his trucks here and used it for tire storage.
Jan 1990 this building was demolished.
EARL STICKEL WAS BORN IN DAVENPORT, IOWA. HE SETTLED IN NEW BEDFORD AREA AFTER WORLD WAR 1. EARL GOT INTO THE OIL BUSINESS AFTER INHERITING BOLLMAN OIL CO. FROM HIS UNCLE FRED C BOLLMAN. EARL STICKEL WAS AN INTERNATIONAL SOFTBALL LEAGUE FAN WHO ATTENDED THE WORLD SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT IN TEXAS IN 1952. MR. STICKELDECIDED HE WANTED TO DO SOMETHING TO BUILD UP NEW BEDFORD’S SPORTS FACILITIES. IN 1953 MR STICKEL ERECTED A SOFTBALL PARK AT A COST CONSERVATIVELY ESTIMATED AT $40.000.00. IT WAS BUILT IN MEMORY OF C VIVIAN BOLLMAN, SON OF F C BOLLMAN, A COUSIN of EARL’S, WHO DIED FROM FLU EPIDEMIC IN 1918. STICKEL’S FORMED A SOFTBALL TEAM IN 1952 AND ENTERED INTO THE INTERNATIONAL
SOFTBALL LEAGUE. They won the IL state tournament. In 1952 BOLLMAN OIL ELITESCOMPETED IN THE WORLD SOFTBALL TOURNEY IN PLAINVIEW TEXAS. IN 1953 THEY PLACED 2NDIN THE STATE TOURNEY, HOWEVER SINCE RHODE ISLAND STATE CHAMPIONS WERE UNABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE TOURNEY AT SELMA, THE ELITES WERE INVITED AND NEW BEDFORD ELITES KNOCKED OFF MAYWOOD TWICE TO WIN THE STATE TITLEOF THE INTERNATIONAL SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT IN 1953. THEY WERE BEATEN IN THE WORLD TOURNEY BY SELMA, CA. IN AUG 1954 NEW BEDFORD HELD THE STATE TOURNAMENT. THEY HAD AN ALL-TIME HIGH FOR PAID GATES AND RECEIPTS AT ANY IL STATE TOURNAMENT.
AUG 1954 NEW BEDFORD BOLLMAN OIL CO. ELITES WON ILLINOIS STATE SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP” PEPSI COLA TROPHY” AND A BERTH IN THE INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT AT SELMA CA. BY DEFEATING MAYWOOD 3-2. TEAM SPONSOR WAS: MRS.( FRED) MINNIE BOLLMAN AND EARL STICKEL. THEY WENT TO SELMA, FRESNO COUNTY, CA FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SOFTBALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP. SOME OF THE TEAM MEMBERS BILL BOYER, CLIFF CARPENTER, BILL ANDERSON, LOWELL EGERT, FRECKFRANKLIN, ETC. THE ELITES WERE DEFEATED BY HOAKS PACKERS 8-0 AND BY DINIUBA 6-1. BILL BOYER WAS STARTING PITCHER IN THE 2ND GAME AND DEAN MCKINNIS WAS STARTING PITCHER IN 1ST GAME.
THIS MARKED THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW (1955-1956 AND 1957) THAT THE BOLLMAN ELITES WERE REPRESENTED IN THE WORLD TOURNEY.
AUGUST 1955 NEW BEDFORD BID FOR THE WORLD SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT, PUTTING UP A $9.000.00 GUARANTEE, AND NEW BEDFORD WAS CHOSEN AS THE SITE. THEY LOST TO LON:G BEACH 5-0 AND DINUBA, CA 1-0. THEY PLACED 3RD. THE ELITES CLOSED OUT THE 1955 SEASON 62 W 7 LOSSES. THEY GOT 2N° IN 1956. THEY HOSTED THE WORLD SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT IN 1955, 1956, AND 1957.
AUGUST 1955 INTERNATIONAL SOFTBALL LEAGUE WORLD TOURNAMENT WAS HELD IN NEW BEDFORD, IL. THERE WERE 17 TEAMS ENTERED. THIS WAS DUE ENTIRELY TO THE EFFORT OF EC STICKEL.
MR STICKEL SPONSORED A TEAM OF MANLIUS ALUMNI WHO TRAVELED TO PLAY OTHER TEAMS. ONE DAY STICKEL ASKED THEIR FRIEND HUBERT HEWITT WHY THEY WERE NOT PLAYING MORE GAMES, HE RESPONDED; WE CAN NOT GET INTO THE GYM, THERE IS TOO MUCH GOING ON. SO STICKEL SAID I WILL BUILD ONE AND IT WAS BUILT AND DEDICATED DEC 23, 1955. WITH A COURT IN PLACE, STICKEL
FORMED A SEMI-PRO BASKETBALL TEAM CALLED THE BOLLMAN MAROONS; IN PART TO KEEP HIS SOFTBALL PLAYERS IN SHAPE DURING THE WINTER. THEY PLAYED SOME OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE US BEFORE DISBANDING IN 1961. BOLLMAN FIELDHOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1955 AND THE FIRST BASKETBALL GAME HELD IN THE NEW FIELDHOUSE WAS PLAYED DEC 16, 1955 WHEN MANLIUSBEAT TISKILWA 66-
56. EARL STICKELS LET MANLIUS PLAY AT THE FIELDHOUSE FOR A TOKEN FEE; BELIEVED TO BE $1.00. WHEN EARL STICKELS DIED AUG 14, 1975 IN STOUGHTON, WI. THE HIGH SCHOOL PAID THE BARGAIN RATE OF $50,000.00 FOR THE FIELD HOUSE AND ADJOINING PROPERTY TO SETTLE THE ESTATE. EARL MARRIED CORA SCHUETTS IN ABOUT 1966 WHEN HE WAS 73. HE IS BURIED AT THE SOUTH PLEASANT NEW BEDFORD ELITE BASEBALL TEAM / BOLLMAN MEMORIAL STADIUM
The Elites played in the World Softball Championship Tournament Series held at Bollman Memorial Field in New Bedford, Ill.1955-1956 1957. The Elites placed 3rd in 1955 and 1956. IN 1957 they advanced to the championship game but lost 1-0 to place second. Howard “Boots” Boostrom played with the Elites from 1954-1957, picking up all-state player awards from 1954 through 1957. He was All-American Player in 1957 He started playing with New Bedford in 1954 in the world tour held in Salem, CA.
Bill Boyer held a pitching record in 1954′ No hit – no runs. Aug 28, 1955- Sept 5, 1955
New Bedford Elite Teams members in 1955:
Jack Cullen, Jack Miers,/catcher; Mel Motz or Montz shortstop; (Batboy Snorkey Anderson), Jack Walsh 2nd baseman; Richard Franklin ( Freck} 3rd baseman; Coach Menedez, Chick Anderson utility; ll.es Arnold center field; Jim Boender pitcher; Bill Boyer pitcher; Bob Harding pitching; Howard “Boots” Boostrom left field; Bill Davidson 1st base; Bob Watson catcher; Jim Aversing or Aversion outfield.
In 1955 New Bedford beat Platteville, CO 6-2; New Bedford beat Phoenix, AZ 2-0 Long Beach, CA beat New Bedford 5-0 New Bedford lost to Dinuba, CA 1-0 for 3rd place
VIEW CEMETERY IN KEWANEE, IL. CORA MAE SCHUETTS MAY HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO CLAUDE FREEMONT BATES IN 1930. NOT CONFIRMED. THE FIELD HOUSE WAS DEDICATED DEC 23, 1955 WHEN THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS WERE THE GUEST TEAM. THE FIELDHOUSE CLOSED FEB 23, 1998 AFTER THE LAST BASKETBALL GAME PLAYED AT THE FIELDHOUSE WAS BUREAU VALLEY VS. ALEDO. BUREAU VALLEY WON 79-60. IT CLOSED WHEN THE NEW BUREAU VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL OPENED IN THE FALL OF 1998. IT WAS AFFECTIONATELY CALLED “BARN” BY THOSE WHO KNEW HER BEST AND SERVED MANLIUS RED DEVILS FOR 42 YEARS. THE MANLIUS HIGH SCHOOL LEASED THE FIELDHOUSE FOR THE BASKETBALL SEASON AND LARGE GATHERINGS SUCH AS COMMENCEMENT. EVENTUALLY, ALLEN DALE BOUGHT THE FIELDHOUSE BASEBALL FIELD.
BOLLMAN Memorial Field (New Bedford) The Elites Ball Club was formed in New Bedford in 1952. Earl Stlickel built the Bollman Memorial Field ballpark in 1953. The ISL World Tournament was held at New Bedford in 1955-56 & 57. New Bedford’s team finished 2nd in 1956 and 3rd in 1955.
Earl Stickel also built a new fieldhouse at the same location. The new Bollman Memorial Fieldhouse was dedicated Dec. 23, 1955, when the Meadowlark Lemon-led Harlem Magicians basketball team performed. The first basketball game played by Manlius Red Devils was Dec 16, 1955, against Tiskilwa.
Manlius Red Devils beat Tiskilwa Indians 66-56. The last game played was Feb 1998 (Bureau Valley defeated Aledo 79-60. The Bollman Fieldhouse closed 42 years after it opened in 1955.
Stickel let Manlius Red Devils play for a token fee believed to be $ 1.00. When Stickel died in 1977 the high school paid a bargain rate of $50,000 for the field house and adjoining property to settle the estate. A new Bureau Valley High School built in Manlius, IL opened fall of 1998. It was a much anticipated 10- million-dollar school complex on the west edge of Manlius, with a state-of-the-art gymnasium. Manlius, along with Buda-Western, Walnut, joined forces, built a new school that opened fall of 1998, and then played basketball in the new gym in Manlius.
Earl Stickel; inherited Bollman Oil Co. and real estate from his Uncle Fred Bollman.
The Bollman Field and Fieldhouse were built and named by Earl C. Stickel in memory of his cousin, C. Vivian Bollman, son of Fred C Bollman, who died from a flu epidemic in 1918.
A basketball team (The Maroons) was formed in 1955 by Stickels and played some of the best teams in the U.S. A. before disbanding in 1961. The Manlius High School then leased the Field house for basketball season and large gatherings such as commencement. The building was valued at $100.000 when it was built. Fred C.
Bollman of Greenville Township gave land for an athletic field. He was a car salesman and had the agency for Ford starting in 1901. .
BOLLMAN OIL CO. BULK OIL Plant Fred C. Bollman, uncle of Earl Stickle, operated a Texaco bulk plant called Bollman Oil Co. They sold tires wholesale and retail at their store in the defunct First State Bank building which was owned by First National Bank on North Maple Ave. at that time. Art Carlson was the bookkeeper, and Siebert Larson, Forrest Kerber, and Harold Caskey delivered bulk oil. They hoped to purchase the old First State Bank building on Main Street on Jan. 17, 1949, and use it for an office; however, the deed did not get transferred properly by The First National Bank President. Therefore, Earl Stickel bought the Old First State Bank building on Main Street in Manlius and moved his offices there.